End Of Year Barbecue: What You Need To Know

AJ+Maxson%2C+Lucas+Wilson%2C+and+Nick+Schwab+selling+tickets+to+throw+pies+at+staff+members+
AJ Maxson, Lucas Wilson, and Nick Schwab selling tickets to throw pies at staff members

River Atkinson, Staff Writer

May 18th, 2018,  is Bijou’s Leadership-run End of Year Barbecue. The event, which is held in the small gym on the RJ Wasson Academic Campus, has become an annual occurrence.  Both staff and students look forward to this celebration. The Leadership Team has planned and will coordinate a variety of events and activities throughout the party.  There are a few things students should know about beforehand.

1. The Theme

The theme of this year’s  Barbeque is ‘Hawaiian Luau’. Students are encouraged to dress along with the theme, using Hawaiian shirts, Leis, or anything tropical, as long as it’s school appropriate, of course.

The Dragon drawing made by Hannah Wartman for the water bottles.

2. Door Prizes:

Leadership is selling raffle tickets and will hold a drawing at the end of the party for cakes from Nothing Bundt Cakes. The raffle will also include 3 Bijou water bottles, which feature dragon artwork made by Hannah Wartman.  These will be available for student purchase in 2018-2019 to support Leadership activities.   The project was initially funded using grant money through “Operation Student Sustainability.”  The raffle drawings will be held in the last 20 minutes of the party. Winners can only claim prizes if they are present at the event.

3. Pie In The Face

During lunches in the days leading up to the party, Leadership has been selling tickets to throw pies in the faces of Kathryn Presnal, Bijou Principal; Brian Mandabach, Bijou Teacher; Matthew Chantiny, Bijou Teacher; and JJ,Wasson Security Guard. Each ticket comes with a chance to throw the pie. Throwers will be selected through the raffle at the party.

Skylar Owens-Hailey, Kyle Donahoo, Lucas Wilson, Zallianna Pacheco-Johnson, James Withers, and Renee Cockrell working on preparations for the Barbecue

4. Teacher Plate Awards

Each year the students of Bijou create ‘Paper Plate Awards’ to recognize teachers. Through this,  students can express their gratitude for help and knowledge gi

ven to them by the faculty and staff.  Bijou students will be award the paper plates to their teachers with these during this year’s party.

5. How To Get There 10 Minutes Early

For those interested in arriving 10 minutes early for the first-pick at the party, students need to  bring a snack or dessert to Mrs. Cockrell’s room, 205, on Friday the 18th. Leadership will have a list of students who brought food and will make rounds to the classrooms to take the eligible students to the party.  These students will also be given a lei.  Other students will be released for the party 10 minutes later. 

River Atkinson, Student writer/journalist

"Flying metal child draining the brains of citizens."

This Goth/Punk dude may look odd and slightly menacing at first sight, but those who know him...