Recycling Initiative at Bijou

Back to Article
Back to Article

Recycling Initiative at Bijou

Bijou Leadership Team collecting recycling.

Alexis Schilowsky

Alexis Schilowsky

Alexis Schilowsky

Jaedon Carlson, Staff Writer

The Bijou Recycling Initiative was started October 2017, with the goal of reducing waste materials, especially plastic bottles,  and expanding the green process of recycling. Renee Cockrell, the Leadership Team Teacher, showed a film on recycling to the Leadership Team and discovered that the Roy J. Wasson Academic Campus was paying for recycling and the recycling bin was being filled with trash that was not recycled. The Leadership Team decided to place recycling bins in every Bijou classroom. Other schools at the R.J. Wasson Academic Campus discovered the initiative and requested the Bijou students begin collecting their recycling.  This includes The Digital School, the RJWAC Copy Center, Career Pathways, and individual teacher from Oddessy and Tesla Equal Opportunity School. It started with the co-operation of the Leadership Team who wrote an application for a grant from Colorado Springs School District 11 that awarded the Leadership Team $350 for recycling bins.  The grant was written by former Leadership Team member, River Atkinson.

Students place recycling items into container designated on Campus for these items to be recycled.

Cockrell and the Team have thoroughly promoted the use of these bins, hanging recycling posters throughout the Bijou halls. Every Thursday, the Team goes to each classroom collecting and emptying the bins, ensuring the delivery of the contents to the recycling receptical.  Data has been collected to report to CSSD 11 how the grant money has improved recycling on the Campus.  The students began by recycling bins from 9 classrooms on the Campus.  By the end of the year, they were collecting from 40 classrooms on Campus.   This has become a student initiative across all  of the schools and programs.  Many students can be seen throughout the day with water bottles and excessive papers, all of which would have been dumped into a waste lot prior to the initiative.

Allyssa Longest
Recycling Team collects from classrooms

“It didn’t feel like a chore, we all enjoyed making the school feel like a more environmentally friendly campus.” says Atkinson. “I really believe we made the school a better place.” says Zandar Owens-Hailey, another member from the Team. Before the initiative was started, Bijou had 1 recycling bin which was rarely used.  When it was filled, improper and non-recyclable materials were being disposed in it. Now,  students and staff are throwing away less trash every day, making our school a greener and healthier place.

Students frequently recycle on a daily basis now. Every Thursday, Bijou Leadership students collect the bins and empty them.   The last day of collection for this school year will be May 30.   Leadership students have committed to keeping the project going in future years on Campus.

Jaedon Carlson, Staff Writer

Jaedon loves music and animals.  No task or challenge is too big or too small for him to complete.  He loves to be lazy, when he can.

Allyssa Longest, Staff Writer

Allyssa is an anime and music enthusiast.  She spends her spare time playing the tenor saxophone. She has a 'can-do' attitude.  Her love of books drives...