Hate Has No Home Here

Bijou Principal Buys Unifying Posters For The Staff

Bijou+Principal+Kathryn+Presnal+with+one+of+the+%27Hate+Has+No+Home+Here%27+posters+she+printed+for+the+Bijou+staff+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Hate Has No Home Here

Bijou Principal Kathryn Presnal with one of the 'Hate Has No Home Here' posters she printed for the Bijou staff

River Atkinson

River Atkinson

River Atkinson

River Atkinson, Staff Writer

Early in March 2018, Bijou Principal, Kathryn Presnal, bought and distributed posters bearing the words “Hate Has No Home Here” in English, Hebrew, Arabic, Korean, Urdu, and Spanish to every classroom,  the Library, and staff offices at Bijou. The move comes as a show of support to all students, parents and faculty members, regardless of their cultural/racial background and to unify the staff and students.

“I was in a meeting at Adams State University down in Alamosa,” says Presnal, “I saw the posters hanging up and thought they looked cool. This was during an uneasy period at Bijou and I wanted people to know that this is what our school is about. We’re respectful, we want to get along, we want to have a happy environment. We don’t want people to bully or be unkind.”

The Bijou students agree with that sentiment. “I believe that it is much needed because of the position we are in the world today,” says Senior Taylor Darnell. “We certainly need some words of encouragement – especially in different languages.”

According to Presnal, the response to the posters has been heartening,  “I’ve had some people and staff members from other schools asking me for some. I think the reactions have been quite positive.”

The posters are definitely setting the right and necessary example, and students and staff alike are embracing their message.