Backpacks, Lockers, and Weight

At the Bijou School the lockers are not used by students. The reason according to School Principal, Kathryn Presnal, “They were used as an excuse to get out of class and an excuse for being late.” Students carry their bags from class to class all week long. Studies conducted by David Siambanes, DO, of the Inland Empire Spine Center in Riverside, California of 3,500 students age 11-15 in Riverside and San Bernadino Counties, showed that backpacks caused students moderate to severe upper and lower back pain.

There is a four-minute passing period between classes where students stand in the halls. It does not take long to get to their next class. During lunch, students will leave backpacks and jackets in teacher’s classrooms.  Teachers should not have to assume responsibility for student belongings.  When students leave their things in the Bijou hall to avoid carrying them to the cafeteria, they don’t feel comfortable having their personal belongings stay in the hall. If students had their own lockers, they could lock their things up and feel safe.

Many students would love to have the lockers available. Though not using lockers has helped Bijou students get to class on time and stay on task in class.  According to David Siambanes, 6 out of 10 students claim to have moderate to severe back pain related to their backpacks. Opening the lockers for use would not fully solve this problem, but it would help.

“Heavy Backpacks Can Hurt Students’ Backs.” WebMD, WebMD, 13 Aug. 2004, www.webmd.com/back-pain/news/20040813/heavy-backpacks-can-hurt-student-backs.

Publishing, Harvard Health. “Bad Backs and Backpacks.” Harvard Health, www.health.harvard.edu/childrens-health/bad-backs-and-backpacks.

Suszynski, Marie. “Is Your Bag Hurting Your Back?” EverydayHealth.com, 20 Dec. 2016, www.everydayhealth.com/back-pain/is-your-bag-hurting-your-back.aspx