Should Roy J. Wasson Academic Campus Schools Start Later?

Students+feel+so+tired+throughout+the+school+days+that+some+bring+blankets.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students feel so tired throughout the school days that some bring blankets.

Kaden Stewart

Kaden Stewart

Kaden Stewart

Kaden White-Stewart, Staff Writer

For years, people have been debating on what time is beneficial to start school. The time needs to be healthy for both students and adults. Society often views sleep as a luxury, but according to the National Sleep Foundation (NSF) article, “Backgrounder: Later School Start Times”, getting enough sleep is “a biological necessity, as important to good health as eating well or exercising.”

Teens have a very hectic schedule, which includes homework, sports, and, sometimes, trying to balance a job. The NSF also reports that teens need about 9 ½ hours of sleep per night, but most teens only get 6-7 hours of sleep. The root of the problem begins with poor sleeping habits among teens, says the National Sleep Foundation.

According to UCLA Sleep Disorder Center, “Huge swings in emotions and moods are also common in teens. This can be a result of major sleep issues.

“This is definitely shown in the classrooms, student Autumn says, “I seem to have a much better day when I follow my routine sleep schedule.”

“First, a sleep-deprived person cannot focus attention optimally and therefore cannot learn efficiently. Second, sleep itself has a role in the consolidation of memory, which is essential for learning new information.” Says Division of Sleep Medicine at Harvard Medical School.

Studies done by the NSF show that teens are significantly more attentive when getting more hours of sleep.  Sufficient sleep provides teens with more motivation to do their work and to do it well.

If the schools within the Roy J. Wasson Academic Campus had school hours start at 8:30 am, this would help students a lot. On the other hand, students may take advantage of this and abuse the opportunity of a later start to school, to stay up even later. That would not fix this sleep issue.

It is important for School Officials, Parents, and students to begin discussions to find a solution for this issue.  It’s important for teens to have better emotional, physical, and mental health.

Resources for this article:

“Backgrounder: Later School Start Times.” National Sleep Foundation, sleepfoundation.org/sleep-news/backgrounder-later-school-start-times.

“Sleep, Learning, and Memory.” Sleep, Learning, and Memory | Healthy Sleep, healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/matters/benefits-of-sleep/learning-memory.

“Sleep and Teens.” UCLA Sleep Disorders Center, sleepcenter.ucla.edu/sleep-and-teens.