Journalism Day 2017

Jack Kennedy, Executive Director of the Colorado Student Media Association

Alexis Schilowsky

Alexis Schilowsky

Alexis Schilowsky, Editor

The Roy J. Wasson Academic Campus had two schools attend Journalism Day (J-Day) on the early morning of Thursday, October 19th, 2017. J-Day was held at Colorado State University (CSU) in Fort Collins, Colorado in the Lory Student CenterOver 1,500 High School students from all across the State of Colorado assembled in the Grand Ball Room.  Young journalists, student writers, advisors, and administrators explored over 50 sessions with 60 different speakers and 13 exhibitors.  

The Bijou School and Early College High School rode together in a bus to the event. Jack Kennedy, Executive Director of the Colorado Student Media Association (CSMA) opened the day with encouragement and opportunity for the students in Colorado to learn the value of a free press in the United States. After an award ceremony for advisers,  the Administrator of the Year was presented to Early College High School Principal, Aurora Umana-Arko.

Aurora Umana-Arko receives the Administrator of the Year Award

Umana-Arko received the 2017 Colorado Student Media Association Administrator of the Year Award for her support of student journalism. The Early College High School (ECHS) students were pleased to nominate their principal for this award. 

As the opening session came to an end, students begun looking for their first learning session. The hallway of the Lory Student Center at CSU, Ft. Collins was clustered with high school and middle school students.  Sessions were 45 minutes long and contained valuable information on reporting, design, photography, communications, social media, and other topics for the young journalists who attended. Some students attended the exhibitor’s displays to learn about products and opportunities to communicate school events and to document the school year through their yearbook.  Tours were offered for the CSU daily newspaper, the CSU Radio station, and the television studio at CSU. 

The end of J-Day approached at 1 pm, as students and advisers gathered in the Grand Ballroom for one more celebration of the day. The Student Journalism Awards Ceremony was held for student publications in Journalism and Yearbook from the school year of 2016 – 2017.  Schools received awards evaluated by nationally-known leaders in Journalism and Yearbook that had been submitted to CSMA in the Summer of 2017. Both the Bijou School and Early College High School were honored with Awards of Merit for The Campus Chronicle; The Jewel, the yearbook for The Bijou School; The ECHS Newspaper;  and The Phoenix, Early College High School yearbook.