Donut Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Donut Club

Donuts On Wednesday

Donuts On Wednesday

Alize Martin

Donuts On Wednesday

Alize Martin

Alize Martin

Donuts On Wednesday

Alize Martin, Staff Writer

Last year the Bijou school’s Principle, Katherine Presnal, started the Donut Club to help boost student attendance rates. Presnal feels the students that get to school on time everyday deserve a reward.

Donut Club is announced every Wednesday during the advisory, 2nd period. Presnal reviews student attendance from the previous week and if there are no absences, excused or not, and if there are no tardies for the entire week, the student gets a donut. Last year an average of 20-30 students got a donuts weekly. This year the average is 40-50 students who receive donuts weekly.  Presnal proudly stated, “That’s almost half as much more than last year.”

Students who get perfect attendance all quarter, get a certificate to celebrate their perfect attendance at the end of the quarter.

Attendance is important at the Bijou School.  Classes are 90 minutes, which means if one class is missed, it’s like missing two regular class periods at a traditional high school. Not showing up to school means the instructions were missed and the assignment is difficult.  Credits aren’t earned and graduation can be delayed.

The Donut Club is a small step to avoid all that trouble. Just show up and get a donut.  It’s that simple.