Eclipse of 2017

Alex Goalder, Jeremy Geesey, Maeson Dunlap, Britnee Ridgeway, Maisy Hardsock, Dylan Owens-Hailey and others enjoy the eclipse in the Campus Courtyard.

Michael Baughman

Michael Baughman

Michael Baughman

The R.J. Wasson Academic Campus gave an opportunity for students to view the 90% partial solar eclipse on August 21, 2017. The majority of the students were provided with eclipse viewing glasses and Science teachers assisted students in viewing the eclipse as it happened.   Rob Hanson, Bijou Science Teacher, enjoyed the Scientific effects of the eclipse and was pleased as students made observations about these effects.  Students observed in the Campus courtyard, the sidewalks on the south of the building, and some were in the Gary Barry Stadium.

Brooke Swortwood and others enjoy the eclipse.

Hanson’s students created pinhole viewers to watch the eclipse safely.  The school provided certified and approved eclipse viewing glasses for student’s safety.    RJWAC staff were concerned that students would follow approved viewing for this Scientific event.

The eclipse could also be viewed through leaves and needles of the trees in the Campus courtyard and the shadows they cast on the pavement.

Shadows of the eclipse through tree leaves at the Campus.

The leaves and needles acted like pin hole viewers and repeated the effect of the eclipse multiple times.  Students also used shoe box viewers.  A creative way to view was to use the thumb and forefinger forming a circle. Standing with the back to the sun, it would cast a shadow on the sidewalk that showed the progress of the eclipse.

Students observed in the courtyard from 50% of the eclipse to the full partial eclipse of 90%, and stayed while the eclipse transitioned back to 80%.  Students and Staff were pleased to have this “once-in-a-lifetime” opportunity to view the eclipse in Colorado Springs.