High School Love

Dylan Owens-Hailey, Editor

High school relationships display affection at different levels.  In some relationships, it is difficult to tell if there is a relationship because there is little to no physical contact.  Other relationships it is easy to tell they are together based on hand-holding, hugging, and minimum levels of kissing.

There is a group of high school sweethearts who may cross the boundaries of socially appropriate physical contact.  This may include  making out, groping, and other physical contact.  What is acceptable to the public?  – both in school and outside of school.  When is a public display of affection (PDA) too much?

Public displays of affection are a growing phenomenon which has been around since relationships have existed.

In the 21st century, the acceptable amount of affection displayed to the public commonly consists of hand holding, hugging and a kiss on the cheek.  Anything beyond this is frowned upon because watching a couple “suck face” or “make out” can be vary uncomfortable for others and inappropriate in a public place. This is where the phrase, “Get a Room” comes from.

The image a couple shows in public is important.  Couples should consider their own self-respect when deciding to be affectionate in public.  They are role models to younger couples, which can be an opportunity to show how to be in a respectful relationship.