Friendships: Good or Bad?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Friendships: Good or Bad?

Marissa Porter, Staff Writer

Friends are people to go to when there are bad days, some advice is needed, or a problem needs to be talked out. How do you know that you have a good or a bad friend? There are some qualities and characteristics that can help guide a person to the friends that matter.

First and foremost good friends appreciate differences, as friends should not be the same people, everyone has different personalities and minds. Keep in mind that “Vanilla is not the only option.” Second, a good friend should be someone who is both a giver and a taker from the friendship. Having a friend who is only a taker can be exhausting; a giver is someone who answers those midnight calls.

Next, something that is very important is a friend that is going to be honest. If a friend tells only what one wants to hear, how is that ever going to help a person grow? Lastly, every friend should be trust worthy, you should be able to tell a friend something important and very private and not worry every second that they are going to tell someone that private information.

What makes a bad friend is someone who adds pressure to do things that they know you are not comfortable with, by saying things like “Oh you big baby.” “Come on, one time won’t hurt.” A good friend adds support no matter what you don’t feel okay with. Secondly, because everyone makes mistakes a friend should be able to apologize, but there are always people in the world who do not have that ability to apologize. There are people who have the “special talent” of being able to turn their mistakes around and make it seem like it’s everybody else’s fault. Maybe it’s time to say goodbye to that person because owning up to mistakes is a part of life.

Lastly, trust your gut. If this person is not a great match then maybe it is time to say goodbye and go separate ways. Because just like staying in a bad relationship is not healthy, neither is staying in a bad friendship.