Did you Know?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Did you Know?

Dylan Owens-Hailey, Co-editor

There are so many things at the R.J. Wasson Academic Campus that are unused and unknown about. The Campus has  many functioning activity spaces that are not used to their fullest potential.

The Campus is fully equipped with a beautiful tennis court, that is occasionally rented by the public.  However, none of the Physical Education (PE) classes use them.

There is also a full length swimming pool built with professional standards, including a diving board and starting stands for swimming competition. All of this is unused by students of the school. This is due to the requirement of two certified lifeguards present during any swim or class period. The pool is sometimes used by school clubs and is often rented to the public.

The Campus also has an amazing weight-lifting room that is rarely used by Tesla’s PE classes.  It is also unused by Bijou, Achieve, Night School, and Early College High School.  Some staff access to this room before and after school hours.  Supervision and safety are the main reasons for the restricted access.

Did you know The Campus has a shooting range? The range has been turned into a storage room. So this once upon a time shooting range that was used very often is being wasted by everyone at Wasson for a storage room of miscellaneous junk. The shooting range is the biggest example of unused equipment. NO ONE uses this for what it was built for. These extra rooms and unused pieces are all a part of the Wasson campus, and should be treated like that, not abandoned like Wasson was. The new residents of Wasson such as Bijou, Tesla, Early College, Achieve Online and Digital should all be invited to take advantage of the gifts that the old Wasson School has left us.